Wikipedia: Cleveland (automobile)
The following section is an excerpt from Wikipedia's Cleveland (automobile) page on 6 January 2016, text available via the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
The Cleveland Motor Car Company of Cleveland, Ohio, was manufacturer of the Cleveland automobile. The company was founded in 1904 by E. J. Pennington.
Before he founded the Cleveland Motor Car Company, E. J. Pennington built the Tractobile from 1900 to 1902 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It was a steam-powered device "that could be attached to any horse-drawn carriage to make it into an automobile."
By March 1906, the company advertised in a national trade magazine as "the car without a weak spot." Their 4-cylinder, 30 to 35-horsepower Model F was priced from US$3,500 to US$5,000, "depending on body equipment." The complete chassis was made by the Garford Motor Truck Co., the largest manufacturers of high-grade automobile parts and chassis in America.
The ignition was by the imported Simms-Bosch low tension Magneto, "with which all important foreign cars are equipped." The spark is "make and break" and controlled by the speed of the engine; which did away with the spark plug, coils, intricate wiring and batteries. The carburetor was automatic and "required no adjustment" and the company promised "it will not flood." The vehicle weighed 2,400 pounds (1,100 kg) and the exhaust on the muffler "prevents dust from coming up the rear of the car." Body options were "Victoria" and Tulip."
That same year, the company advertised that the Model D, a 20-horsepower model would continue without change. The vehicle was priced at US$2,800. Both models were guaranteed for one year.
The company had distributing agents in New York City, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Missouri, Los Angeles and Buffalo, New York.
|8 January 1920||Automotive News Briefs: 8 January 1920||The New York Times|
|9 January 1920||CLEVELAND AUTO PLAN.||The New York Times|
|Connect with The Crittenden Automotive Library|