NEW MOTOR BUILDING.
|Topics: Buick, Oakland
The New York Times
July 2, 1922
To Be Erected on Eleventh Avenue, and Fifty-fifth Street.
Alfred P. Sloan, Jr., Vice President of the General Motors Corporation in Charge of Operations, announced yesterday that arrangements had been completed with the Argonaut Service Corporation for the erection of a modern service building in the heart of the automobile district in this city for the joint use of the Buick and Oakland organizations.
The building will be located on the east side of West End or Eleventh Avenue, occupying the block between Fifty-fifth and Fifty-sixth Streets, extending back 100 feet. The building will be of reinforced concrete, six stories high, with a total floor space of 140,000 square feet, and will represent an investment in land and building of almost three-quarters of a million dollars.
The architect is Albert Kahn of Detroit, who planned the General Motors Building in Detroit, the Ford and Packard buildings on Broadway and a number of other big buildings. The Thompson-Starrett Company will construct the building.
Ground was broken on the 15th of June and the work will be rushed to completion by early Fall. When completed the building will house the entire service, parts and new car delivery departments of the Oakland Motor Car Company; and also the parts department and machine shops of the New York branch of the Buick Motor Company, which will move from the present quarters at West Fifty-second Street and the Hudson River.
This will not affect the score of sub-service stations of the Buick Company, which are located at convenient points in New York City. The building will be equally divided between these two divisions of General Motors Corporation and will be so constructed that the two organizations will be entirely separate.
|Connect with The Crittenden Automotive Library|